The Campground Historic District
After the Civil War Union troops occupied Mobile for several years, many of the units werecomposed of so-called “colored” soldiers, often ex-slaves who had enlisted inthe army. Some of those units camped north of St. Stephens Road and west of Ann Street. Newly freed slaves came to live around the Union forces for protection, as racial tensions were high after 1865. Eventually the troops left, but African-Americans stayed. Today, the area is the Mobile Historic Development Commission’s newest historical district and is called The Campground.
source: Michael Thomason, Mobile Bay Monthly, Jan. 2012