Leinkauf Historic District
While the Leinkauf District is most often documented as beginning in 1903 with the opening of Leinkauf Elementary School, it first appears on Andrew Dexter's 1835 map as portions of the McCarron and McDonald Farms, the Dexter and Gazzam Tracts, and the Tuttle family peroperty. The oldest extant house on Government Street is located in Leinkauf. Formally established as a residential section of town around 1896, the modern district is comprised of various individual neighborhoods that ultimately grew together as a result of increased middle class "infill" settlement in the city's first western streetcar suburb.
Achieving National Register status in 1987 as one of Mobile's seven Architectural Review Board-protected sections of town, Leinkauf is bound, after a 2009 city-approved delineation expansion, by Ann, Houston, Government, and Virginia Streets. Named for Hungarian immigrant, prominent banker, and Mobile County Commissioner Williams Henry Leinkauf, the subdivision sat at the axis of Michigan Avenue and Government Street. The majority of the originally delineated neighborhood, which extended a few blocks South to Eslava Street and West to Monterey Street, developed after the school was built (and also named for Leinkauf. The Leinkauf School Improvement Association repeatedly influenced the City Council to approve neighborhood-wide betterment of streets, storm water drainage, and other amenities. As such, the school often became the focus and anchor of the neighborhood. Even today, Leinkauf Elementary extends to the surrounding neighborhood its distinction of being Alabama's oldest public school still in use.
source: Rediscovering East Mobile: Path to Revitalization; iTeam Mobile