Old Shell Road School

Located at 1706 Old Shell Road, the main building was built in 1915. Community members raised the money to build the auditorium and cafeteria in 1924. The school continued to serve the surrounding neighborhood until it was closed for renovations in 1989. In September of 1989, Old Shell Road School of Creative and Performing Arts was created as one of several magnet schools established in Mobile County to settle the Birdie Mae Davis Racial Discrimination Lawsuit, a long-standing desegregation case in Mobile County.

The magnet school continued using the historical school building with its high ceilings and original architecture until it moved to a new location in 2015. In 2016, Old Shell Road School became "Old Shell Road Lofts". The adaptive reuse of the school is the first of two former schools (The Russell School) in Midtown that will undergo such transformations. The lofts combine southern charm and history with a modern appeal.

source: Old Shell Road Lofts; Old Shell Road School

Old Shell Lofts

1706 Old Shell Road

Mobile, Alabama 36604